Thread Veins and Spider Naevi
Thread veins are tiny blood vessels which run close to the surface of the skin and look like fine red, or sometimes purple lines. They are also sometimes called spider veins or broken veins but in fact the veins aren’t actually broken but only slightly enlarged. There are several options for treating them, these being laser therapy, sclerotherapy, a mixture of both or less commonly electrolysis. The most suitable option for you will be recommended at your initial consultation.
- ND Yag Laser Therapy
- Laser Therapy uses brief pulses of laser light to destroy smaller blood vessels. This is a process called photothermolysis. The sensation felt when the laser pulse is delivered can best be described as the flicking of an elastic band. The laser only works on the unwanted vein leaving other skin untouched and several treatments may be necessary, usually spaced about eight weeks apart.
- Laser patch test£20
- Laser treatment from£50
- Veins bigger than 4mm require Sclerotherapy. This treatment uses a very fine needle to inject a solution into the problem thread vein. The irritation caused to the lining of the vein by the product injected makes it sticky. The subsequent compression dressing ensures that the vein seals shut and one can expect 60-70% improvement in the appearance of the vein after one treatment.
- The treatment takes about 15-20 minutes and one to three treatments may be required to obtain maximum benefit. There is usually bruising four to six weeks after treatment.
- Dr Patel carries out this treatment.
- Individual treatment£250
- Electrolysis, also known as electrocoagulation uses a very fine needle inserted into the skin to pass an electric current through to the target vein where heat is generated, destroying the blood vessel. Although less commonly used than laser it is a suitable alternative for fine individual veins on the face.
- Electrolysis (including patch test)
A complimentary appointment can always be made for you to discuss any of the treatments in more detail with one of our therapists. Please note, a consultation for any advanced procedures carried out by Dr Brien or Dr Patel will incur a £30 charge, this can be redeemed against the cost of your procedure if booked.